0

St. James's Park and National Gallery

Posted by Beth on 9:00 AM in ,
The weather today was absolutely spectacular!! I've been lucky so far in that regard. After a nice picnic lunch, I walked towards Trafalgar Square and the National Gallery (museum of art). Along the way, I passed through St. James's Park and up along the Pall Mall (the main road leading to Buckingham Palace). As I walked along, I noticed loads of people just laying around in the park and enjoying the weather. It was just too tempting. I walked over and grabbed one of the striped lounge chairs for myself. I put on the ipod and was promptly asleep! I had a nice one hour lay about there in the park (some sleeping, some people watching!) I think this is one thing that Americans don't really get to appreciate nearly enough. There are not really any green spaces to enjoy being outside and where people can just enjoy some relaxing down time. I think I should make it my goal to take a nap in every major park here in London over the next 2 months!


View of Buckingham Palace in St. James's Park


St. James Park


Along the Pall Mall looking towards the Palace. I think the flags are out in preparation for the D-Day celebrations this weekend.


Lazy sunny afternoon in St. James's Park


You have to pay £1.50 to use the lounge chairs. The guy in green is the one who goes around collecting the money. When he got to me, I told him to go away because I thought he was a begger. I didn't hear him because I was listening to my ipod! Oops.

After my little refreshing nap, I continued walking up towards the museum. One nice thing about museums in England (for the most part)- they are free! It is nice not to feel pressured to see every piece of art all at once since realistically, you can come and go as you please and return as many times as you like. I plan on doing a little bit at a time each week, I guess. This visit, I saw the 19th century wing with works from Monet (Lilypads), Manet, Van Gogh (amazing!!) and even some Corot that I'd never seen before!! Well worth going back for more!


View of Trafalgar Square from the National Gallery.



Fountain

Pavement artist working. There are several artists all along the pavement in
front of the museum. Everyday is something new!


Woman juggling knives!

No idea who that is up top, but I passed this on my way to Leicester
Square. I just liked the light and the composition of it all.

Since I was going to meet Stuart later to go running, I went ahead and made my way to the tube to get back and get ready. I did a few miles at the park while he did speed work with his running group at the track. I might get brave and join them later in the summer! Right now, I'm definitely not up for it yet.


View of one of the streets around where I'm staying.


I cracked up when I saw this sign! "Fags" is slang for cigarettes in Britain. But I like the
bluntness of using "booze" as well! Guess you know what you're getting here at least!

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 A Colonist in London All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.