0

Bloomsbury and Russell Square, London

Posted by Beth on 11:35 AM in
On the same day I went to Dickens' Museum, I hung out in the Bloomsbury/Russell Square area. I really love this section of town! It's beautiful! It has lots of Georgian-style squares of which Russell Square is the largest. Lots of artists and writers lived in this area, too (I can see why!) It was a fairly quiet area- not a lot of tourists. I might have to work my way back here for another wander before I leave.


Fountain in the center of Russell Square. This is a recent (past few years) addition to the park.


View of Russell Square


This is nearby Bedford Square. It is where the famous peeps lived.
The British Museum is around the corner from here.

A peek into the private (as in residents only) Bedford Square.
I wanna live here and have one of those keys!!!


The Fitzroy Tavern is where many of the 19th century
writers, etc hung out. I called it the "Aux Deux Magots" of
London. I just had to go for a pint here!


Finally!! Wheat beer in London!


The pub was already quite full, so I asked to share tables with this man.
He was very nice! We ended up chatting a bit, with him giving me tips about
places to go in Liverpool and Oxford. (He even lived in Liverpool during
pre-Beatlemania, but wasn't interested! He told me his sister has a photo
taken with the Beatles in her back garden!! She also went to the Cavern at
lunchtime to see them perform! Holy Cow!)


The downstairs bar area where the artists, etc hung out back
in the day.


0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 A Colonist in London All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.