2

A bit of shopping and Greenwich!

Posted by Beth on 7:59 AM in ,
Well, I went to this little market on Piccadilly the other day and thought I'd share a couple of pics of what I bought. I didn't take a photo of the tea, but it's Rooibos raspberry vanilla. Soooo good!


Piccadilly Market


Hematite and fresh water pearl bracelet


So-called "vegetable ivory". It's made from the seed of this South American plant.
They then let it dry for many years (the longer it dries, the harder it becomes) and
then it can be colored and cut similar to ivory. This one doesn't kill any elephants,
though.


This stuff is so cool! You soak the beads in water and they grow and
become kind of slimy. You then use them as "eco soil" and you can put
flowers in it, etc. They can be reused and mixed. I just need to get some
flowers to use them with at home!

Everyday, I've been meeting Stuart for lunch near his work. This is the little park we picnic in. I can't imagine having the luxury of doing this every day at work. I'm lucky to get to eat at my desk.



Me after lunch


Stuart after lunch

After lunch, I headed out to Greenwich which is southeast of the city. As you probably know, it's famous for being the spot from which all time is measured. It's the "G" in GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). The town itself is pretty nice. Very easy to navigate around. There's a little market near the DLR station. You know I couldn't resist. Sadly, I lost one of the earrings I bought here while I was in Birmingham this weekend. I will be returning to Greenwich for a replacement!!


Greenwich Market

I walked up the road that leads to Greenwich park. After crossing the park, there is a hilly pathway that leads up to the Royal Observatory. This is where the prime meridian is!


Straddling the eastern and western hemispheres


Looking down Greenwich Park towards the city


Main street in Greenwich that leads to the park and the observatory.

I've been noticing the various post boxes around the streets. Usually they are marked with ER II (Elizabeth Regina II), however I learned that there are also older variations that can sometimes be found. I've been keeping my eye open for one and got lucky today! This one is for King George!

2 Comments


Your purchases look lovely, deary. :)

Glad you're having a great time so far!


Thank you, my dear! I still can't believe I get the whole summer here!! Still so much to see and do.. and of course more shopping!!

Copyright © 2009 A Colonist in London All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.