3

Bath

Posted by Beth on 10:01 AM in ,
Last week, I went on a day trip to Bath. It's about a 1 1/2 hour train ride west of London. Easy peasy to get to. This is one of the cities in England I've wanted to see for ages since learning about its history. I finally got to go! It's a really lovely city. Very easy to wander around on foot. It was a perfect day trip. I even had time for an afternoon tea and scones.


Scenery from the train on the way to Bath


Parade Gardens in the morning, before the rain hit.


Small square near the Abbey

19th century Roman statue replica at the Baths. This is
Constantinus Magnus.


View of the Abbey from the Baths.


Just a coooooool stone in the Bath museum (inside the Roman Baths).


Stone inside the Baths museum. They aren't sure who it is 100%, but
the snakes in its beard seem to suggest a connection to Medusa.


Detail of part of the tile floor found in the Baths. This is some sort
of "water beast" as it was labelled.


Proof I was there! Thanks random German tourists. :)


These piles of bricks were placed in a room in order to heat the Baths.
They were warmed and basically radiated their heat out to the rest of the complex.
Central heating, Roman style!


Front façade of the Abbey. This is what I saw as I sat
on a bench eating lunch (purchased from the local
market!)


Interior stained-glass window in the Abbey

Memorial stones on the wall of the Abbey. They claim to be only
second to Westminster Abbey in London in the number of
memorial stones.


Next to the Abbey, there is a small museum/exhibit about the early
Abbey. This is just a cool skeleton of someone important I imagine
(sorry, I forget now!)


I have NO idea what these are. I don't think those people looking
at the one on the left do either.


I hiked it up to the Royal Crescent (Bath is quite hilly). These are
Georgian houses built here in a semi-circle. If it hadn't been
Monday, I could have gone inside one for a visit. It was
closed, though. :(


The outdoor café where I enjoyed an afternoon cream tea.


View of the Avon river.


View of the Abbey and Parade Gardens from the opposite shore of the river.

3 Comments


Beth, I thank you for being so diligent in posting about your trip and sharing all of your amazing photos!! It looks like you are having such an amazing time!! Your photos are making me want to go somewhere new and exciting.

Have fun -- another month! So cool.


Oohh...gorgeous photos there, dah'ling. :) You didn't get in the water, did you? lol


Thanks, y'all! Patty- I sat beside the water of one of the Baths and dipped my toes in!

Copyright © 2009 A Colonist in London All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.